Thursday, December 24, 2009

Looking for recipe/meal/grocery planning software?

Hello. I need help in the kitchen. I don't mind cooking, but I hate grocery shopping and it seems like any time I want to cook I have to go to the grocery store for the ingredients. I hate that!





Anyway, I'm looking for some software I can use that has recipes already in it, lets me put in my own recipes, and puts the ingredients for the recipes into a shopping list that can be edited in case I already have some of the ingredients on hand. However, here is the big kicker - the software must allow me to adjust the recipes so they yield 2 servings.





I have tried Shoppingmate and I hate it. It makes no sense.





I have tried Snowbride and it doesn't allow changes to serving size except by changing the amount of each ingredient individually. That's too much work.





I have also tried BigOven and I like it, but when I scaled down the recipes to make 2 servings instead of 4, the measurements in the recipes stayed the same, so I think that is broken.





I have not yet tried Living Cookbook, but I will try it later tonight.





Any suggestions and testimonies will be appreciated and considered. Thanks!Looking for recipe/meal/grocery planning software?
I heard of a software in development that makes a grocery list based on each item you use - you run the item under the barcode reader and it's added to the list, but I don't think it's available to us yet. I've tried the serving %26amp; scaling tool on http://allrecipes.com/ but it comes up with odd measurements like 7/8 of a can, so I just cook for 4 people even though there's just 2 of us. It takes as much energy to cook for 2 as it does to cook for 4 or 6 people and there's enough left over to use as hubby's lunch or I freeze it for later. Home-made tv dinners are handy for those days when you just can't face cooking.





Before I start cooking, I get all the ingredients out so that there aren't any unpleasant surprises midway through the food prep. That's called mise en place, or ';everything in place.'; Every time I use something up, it gets added to the grocery list and I buy it whether I'll be using it soon or not. Until the day when I can scan my food inventory, this is the system I'll use.

No comments:

Post a Comment