Sunday, December 20, 2009

How can I calculate the nutritional information in a recipe? Is there software I can use?

I have been carefully monitoring my calorie/fat intake and I am really struggling with how to calculate the nutritional information for recipes I make at home. For example, I'm making a pan of roasted veggies tonight. A sweet potato, a zucchini, half a butternut squash, and some other veggies. I can add all of these veggies up together but is the only way for me to figure out the calories/fat to weigh each ingredient individually, then figure out the total weight of the recipe, and then figure out the calorie count in a cup, half a cup, etc.?





I know there are lots of online tools (I use the one at Sparkpeople all the time) but they usually go by ';servings';. I type in the ingredients and tell it how many servings it makes. Trouble is, when I make a big pan or pot of something, I don't really know how many servings it makes. I am looking for something that will say, ok, one sweet potato, one zucchini, one onion, half a butterut squash, and a tablespoon of olive oil.....one cup of this mixture is X calories.





Is my only option to measure out how many ';servings'; there are immediately after making the dish? This seems like so much work.





Any ideas? Surely there has to be a program or software out there?How can I calculate the nutritional information in a recipe? Is there software I can use?
Here's a website to analyze recipes





http://www.nutritiondata.com/mynd/myreci鈥?/a>





How can I calculate the nutritional information in a recipe? Is there software I can use?
Meal # Food Serving Size Carbs (g) Fat (g) Protein (g) Calories


Meal 1


Oatmeal 2 Cup 116 0 12 512


Egg White 6 large 0 0 24 96


Egg, fried 3 large 3 21 18 273


Orange 2 32 0 2 136


Meal 2





Graham Crackers 6 30 6 3 186


Milk, skim 5 cups 60 0 40 400


Apple 1 21 0 0 84


Meal 3


Chicken Breast, baked 6 ounces 0 4 48 228


Bread, whole wheat 2 slices 22 2 4 122


Lettuce, Romaine, raw 1 cup 2 0 0 8


Tomato, raw 1 6 0 1 28


Meal 4


Rice, brown, cooked16 ounces 104 4 12 500


Whitefish, baked 6 ounces 0 12 42 256


Broccoli, chopped, cooked 1 cup 10 0 6 48


Meal 5


Cottage cheese, lowfat 3 cup 18 18 84 570


Totals 424 g 67 g 296 g 3447


Macronutrients have been rounded in order to make the calculations easier to understand. Students will find that most nutrition books and calorie-counting guides follow the same procedure. You should note that the caloric values of the foods represented do not match the macronutrient profiles accurately, but serve as an approximation to their value.






No comments:

Post a Comment